Wednesday 20 February 2013

19 Weeks: Muscle Manipulation and Stretch Marks

File:Anterior Hip Muscles 2.PNG        19 Weeks!

I’ve made it to the end of 19 weeks and I have my scan tomorrow, marking the half-way point! I am feeling good, partly due to the weekly yoga sessions, the massage and the muscle manipulator and partly due to the appearance of Cadbury’s Cream Eggs in the shops. It did cross my mind to take a picture of my Cream Egg yesterday morning (Eggs for breakfast – that’s perfectly acceptable – right?!) but then I just ate it.

The muscle manipulator taught me a lot - the reason for my pre-pregnancy backache which has caused me a lot of pain in the past is my psoas, which I had never heard of before. The reason for my visit was the fear of the backache returning during pregnancy and not being able to take the usual medication that breaks the cycle of muscle spasm. I finally decided to do something about it and I’m really glad, I now feel that there’s hope! I also learnt that my pelvis is in the correct position; very solid and stable.

Pregnancy has made me learn things about my body that I never knew I needed to know. I thought I was fairly well educated in human biology and had read enough books pre-conception to know the most important things. This week I learnt not to do breast stroke – well I’ve spent the past 4.5 months compromising my pelvis this way and I had no idea.

I have had tiny stretch marks appearing which has had me using huge amounts of body butter and oil for the past few days, at least there’s nothing on my tummy yet, I have a feeling I may not escape pregnancy without a few battle scars, but I knew that was likely before I make the decision to have kids.

1 comment:

  1. Cadbury Eggs are totally an acceptable breakfast, especially when pregnant. Now I want some! Yum.

    ReplyDelete